There’s a meme flying about the SLblogosphere lately where bloggers are “tagged” and required to post 16 facts about themselves, including RL picture! I am not sure I want to participate in this activity, since it really has nothing to do with my blog’s topic. However, the idea of 16 things was intriguing, and I realized that I have 16 things to say anyway. Not about me, but instead 16 things every SL business owner should know.
- You can’t succeed with those “business in a box” products.
- Your store should focus on one type of product only, at least at first.
- Make sure your products actually work before you place them on sale.
- No advertising = no customers.
- A specific landing point can ensure customers read your signage.
- Customers speak and read languages other than English.
- Few buy something they can’t see, and see clearly.
- Revenue must always exceed expenses.
- Your store’s name must be unique otherwise it will never be findable in search.
- Make it as easy as possible for people to buy your products or services.
- Treat everyone, customers, neighbors, partners and suppliers with respect, no matter what.
- Free samples are always a good idea.
- Suppliers will often accept trades instead of Linden dollars.
- You will have competition; try to do a better job than they can do.
- Keep a backup. No, two.
- There’s no such thing as SL Business; it’s just business, the same as RL.
Are these the only things a business owner should know? Certainly not, but it’s a start.