A while ago I wrote an article describing a rather embarrassing contracting situation in which I had failed miserably to make proper contracting arrangements before starting on some custom work. I was sleepy and wasn't paying attention! Sorry! I learned my lesson, and told everyone about my mistake so they could learn too.
- Negotiate with the customer before work commences
- Agree on the specific work to be undertaken
- Agree on the exact amounts and timing of payments for that work
- Complete the work
- Execute the payments
- An initial payment to begin the engagement before anything is delivered. This ensures that Peter will start work and also ensures that the client is in fact serious about the job.
- Separate payments upon delivery of each completed work phase.